Don’t worry, I’ll be back. I’m just going to work at a summer school in England for the next five weeks.
This has me feeling slightly nostalgic about my little life in Latvia. So instead of packing, organising documentation, cleaning my flat, getting my hair done, cancelling my gym membership, and eating, I thought I’d put together a little list of ‘lasts’ that I’ll be experiencing over the next day or so.
- Tomorrow morning will be my last one waking up in my hugely comfortable double bed. For the next five weeks, I’ll be waking up in a single, boarding-school boy’s bed. (Complete with penis drawings if last year was anything to go by.)
- Today will be the last day I have to cook or do washing up as three fabulous meals a day are provided. A full English to get the day off to a nice filling start, followed by a muffin for breakfast dessert, then lunch with more dessert, then dinner and another dessert. Last year, I put on around a stone. I will also not have to do my own laundry for the next five weeks.
- Today will be the last time I get to spend a day by myself. For the next five weeks, I’ll be surrounded by students, teachers and other staff from around 7am til bedtime. This includes shower time, meal times, and pretty much all other times. Easily the hardest part of the whole experience for me.
- Today might also be the last time I see the sun. Last year, the first thing I had to do when I got to England was buy a coat and scarf. In July.
- Tomorrow will be the last decent shower I have for a long time. For the foreseeable future, I will be either scalded or frozen by the dribble issuing from the non-adjustable boarding school shower heads.
- Today will be the last time I have to deal with Latvian people in shops and on the streets. Oh no, wait, there’ll be thousands of them waiting for me in England.
At least I’ll still be able to practise my Latvian.